When do I NOT need a language certificate?

Fabian Graske
Fabian Graske

Table of contents

The German language level B1 is already proven if:

School attendance in Germany

If you have attended a German-speaking school, you do not need a B1 language certificate under the following conditions:

Four years of teaching at a German-speaking school

A German B1 language level is proven if you have successfully attended a German-speaking school for 4 years (ie you must have been transferred to the higher class). This does NOT apply if you have spent a long time in a foreign-language country directly after leaving school.

high school diploma

A German B1 language level is proven if you have a main school certificate or an equivalent school certificate.

Transfer to the 10th grade

A B1 German language level is proven if you were transferred to a German-speaking school (Realschule, Gymnasium, Gesamtschule) after completing the 10th grade.

Study in Germany

A B1 German language level is proven if you have a university entrance qualification and are enrolled at a German-speaking university or have successfully completed your studies at a German-speaking university.

Vocational training

A German B1 language level is proven if you have successfully completed German vocational training.

No more appointments at the foreigner's registration office (Ausländerbehörde)

With the settlement permit, annoying appointments and tedious waiting times at the foreigner's registration office (Ausländerbehörde) are a thing of the past!

No language certificate necessary

You do not need a language certificate in the following cases:

Physical, mental, emotional disability or illness

If you are unable to prove a language level due to a disability, illness or because of your age. These include limitations that affect your ability to speak or write. In this case, a medical certificate is required.

Hardship scheme

You are also exempt from a language certificate if you are particularly hard.

A hardness exists, for example, if

  • the physical, mental or psychological illness or disability does not make speaking and writing impossible, but makes it significantly more difficult in the long term,
  • you were already over 50 years old when you entered the country,
  • You have to look after a relative and therefore an integration course is impossible in the long term and you cannot be expected of them

The reasons must always be reported and proven to the immigration authorities.

Low need for integration

If you can express yourself in simple German and at the same time have a low need for integration, § 44 para. 3 No. 2 AufenthG. There is a low need for integration if:

  • you have a university or technical college degree or another relevant qualification,
  • or you are integrated into the living conditions in Germany and your livelihood is guaranteed without state aid,
  • or their stay regularly requires knowledge of the German language.

In this context, there is no obligation to attend an integration course (section 44a subsection 2 number 3 of the Residence Act) if:

  • You are disabled (with certificate) or
  • Caring for a disabled family member.
We enforce your right!

You have the right of permanent residence in Germany! We check your requirements free of charge and enforce your right!